St Ives Adult Learning and Skills welcome the diversity of gender, ages, abilities, ethnic origins, faiths and cultures of the people who make up our society.
It is a fundamental principle of our policies that all people should be valued regardless of their economic circumstances, gender, sexual status, sexuality, age, abilities, disabilities, culture, cultural background, ethnicity, ethnic background, religion, health status or language (including signed languages).
We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all people, particularly those who are seeking and using our services.
We will seek to ensure equal opportunities through:
- Offering confidential interviews to discuss particular learning needs.
- Ensuring services are equally accessible and relevant to the needs of different client groups.
- The development of policies, including consultation with communities and groups affected.
- Training for all staff.
- Publicity for, and access to services in relevant formats, where necessary.
We support work with
- People with physical disabilities
- People with sensory disabilities
- People with learning disabilities
- People with, or recovering from, mental illness
- People who are frail and elderly.
EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES AND SUPPORT
Adults with special needs are encouraged to participate in the full range of Adult Learning and Skills activities. Learning partners are carers who share with a student with a disability the enjoyment and stimulation of attending a course/activity while providing friendship and support. The carer is not charged a fee.
We will ensure that full and part time staff have opportunities to participate in staff development and training related to disability.
We are usually able to make appropriate arrangements for assessments and examinations to suit individual requirements arising from disabilities etc.
People in wheelchairs can access several areas including classrooms and computer suites. We have adapted toilets at St Ivo Academy. We will always do our best to ensure that people can access any of our learning opportunities by moving venues, etc.
We will endeavour to arrange further designated car parking spaces for people with mobility difficulties at course venues, if designated spaces are insufficient.
Monitoring and Review
This statement will be kept under review. Any comments or proposals relating to this statement should be directed to the Adult Learning and Skills Coordinator, telephone 01480 495717, email email@example.com.