Calligraphy: Calligraphy for Christmas NEW
Recap of lettering style which learners have already covered. Introduction to calligraphy pen and a lettering style for brand new students. Use of decorative techniques to enhance lettering. Choice of various small projects, which are Christmas-themed but can also be applied to any other occasion or celebration.
Please note – this is a traditional edged-pen calligraphy workshop and is NOT a “modern calligraphy” workshop.
You need to be able to understand, speak and write English. This workshop is particularly suitable for students who have already attended one of our other introductory Calligraphy workshops, however complete beginners are also welcome.
Demonstrations, practical work, individual help, some group discussion and lots of handouts to take home.
You will be able to apply your new skills to making further decorative items at home.
Pens, ink, paper, card, paints and gold will be available to purchase from Liz on the day. The overall cost will be around £5 to £15. PLEASE ADVISE IN ADVANCE IF YOU REQUIRE LEFT-HANDED NIBS AS THEY MUST BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE.
Please see below a materials list:
• Liz will bring a portable drawing board for you to borrow. Please bring two fat rolls of kitchen towel and some blu-tack, to prop the board up on the table. If you have your own drawing board please let Liz know in advance.
• Jam jar or water pot
• Old cloth or tea towel for putting pens on (Liz will have some to borrow)
• Folder or large envelope for handouts and to take work home
• Masking tape if you have it – not essential that everyone brings it as it can be shared, and you won’t need much
• Glue stick
• Two or three small round (not flat) paintbrushes. Liz can order these for you (approx £4 each) if you give at least two weeks notice.
• An old/cheap brush for loading ink onto your nib – Liz will have some to borrow if you don’t have one.
• A black fineliner pen if you have one – Liz will have some available for sale as well
• Coloured pencils, good quality – optional – Liz will have some to borrow if you don’t have any
• Any off-cuts of coloured card you may happen to have – optional – Liz will have some available
• A note on calligraphy pens: bring any you have, but do not buy specially – Liz will have everything you need for sale on the day. There are so many types available that it’s easy to buy the wrong thing by mistake. If you prefer to buy your own than buying from Liz, please contact her in advance and she will give you further details as to what is most suitable and where it may be obtained.
Please bring your own packed lunch and drinks.
At the start of the course you will be given your own individual learning plan. Your tutor will record your entry level and together you will track your progress and achievements.
All learners will be supported to complete a finished piece of work of their own design.
We will support learners to make informed choices about their next steps by providing appropriate individual and/or group information, advice, and/or guidance tailored to need and desired outcomes. Following this workshop, you could join our Gothic Script workshop and/or an ongoing weekly calligraphy class. Correspondence courses and summer schools are also available in various places and the tutor can provide details/links.
Saturday Nov 28, 2020